FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

WHEW!


Have you ever had one of those days where a story would not let you go?

Luckily, it was today on my last day off for five days.

I was writing the bit of Lagniappe that I intend to put at the end of all my NOT-SO-INNOCENTS Steampunk novels.

It is the short story, DRAGONS OF THE BARBARY COAST.

5,500 words so far.  Whew!!

The tagline for it is:

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."
  - Ralph Waldo Emerson 

The taglines fits one of the major characters, Ah Toy --


The first Asian Madame in the San Francisco of the 1850's.

Samuel McCord, a young Mark Twain, and two dragons dueling in the shadows of the 1851 Barbary Coast.

Have you ever been so caught up in a story that it just poured out of you?  

Tell me your experiences, will you?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - gosh well done on getting the short story down and written.

    Love the word lagniappe ... so appropriate and probably not used enough by authors ...

    Yes I can get caught up - but those haven't seen the light of day or blog post day ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, have the short story done and written. Lagniappe comes from my neck of the woods really. :-)

      Lincoln said when we get mad to write it all down ... and then burn the letter!

      Delete
  2. how I love the feeling when words just flow, from my mind, to the screen, seemingly without thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thoughts were there -- it was just they came so quickly and fluidly -- even the editing came easily for once. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Best of luck with your own writing!

      Delete
  3. Dueling dragons! Cool.
    My stories pour out of me once I have outlined them to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what might have happened, Alex. I had been mulling over the story for so long that it just jelled overnight into concrete form. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm always pleasantly surprised when characters create themselves or develop due to unforeseen circumstances. Unexpected situations happen often, but not character "surprises" like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is just nothing better than being totally consumed by a story--so caught up in it that the world goes away. Those are the very best writing days.

    ReplyDelete