FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I'M ABOUT TO GET INTO TROUBLE ... AGAIN



I like Supergirl

There I said it.

Supergirl has pushed above and beyond the other CW shows.

Kara is so full of sunshine that even 

Barry Allen (the Flash) can seem grim in comparison. 

Still, there are serious elements 

that tackle real life issues, 

ranging from immigration to gender inequality to even genocide.


The above scene was so much fun because at the time Supergirl was airing on CBS.

Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart) returned to the show Monday evening in time to face off 

invading alien queen (Terry Hatcher),

 a female U.S. President (Lynda Carter)

and an evil genius (Brenda Strong).

More importantly she provided the nurturing Kara needed 



... and the sarcastic wit I've missed.




But the core of the show is 
the loving relationship between two sisters.








It is stressed that powers do not make a hero.
 It is what you do with what you have. 





Chyler Leigh and Floriana Lima 
have portrayed 
in their romance 
something healing to viewers 
struggling with their own sexuality 
in the real world.




It is beautifully, sensitively portrayed,
giving lesbian viewers
heroes to identify with.




Braving attacks from critics, 
Supergirl might be the most 
politically courageous superhero show on TV..


Show-runner Andrew Kresiberg acknowledged that 

“Our desire is to reflect back not just the world that we live in, but the world that we could live in.”

 Supergirl’s second season has focused heavily on the rights of undocumented aliens like Kara, 

a not-so-subtle allegory for the country’s contentious immigration debate.

 The pilot featured Kara’s boss, 

Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart), discussing the feminist implications of branding the new superhero “Supergirl” instead of “Superwoman.” 






 When asked if the series is political, Kreisberg retorted, 

“Is it political to say that we believe all people should be treated fairly, 

that people who are different from us deserve 

the same respect and rights and privileges we have?”



“The primary directive is to tell stories about characters that people care about,” he continued. 

“If you just wanted to be political and you didn’t have that, nobody would care.”


Lastly, the Supergirl show is not afraid to have fun with itself!


8 comments:

  1. See, Supergirl feels like Sheera to me. The same girly feel. It's the tom boy in me that rejects it, and I really hate it when people use a TV show as a political statement. Yeah. We tried it. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever show we watch has its own worldview it portrays in the words and actions of its characters -- it is just the nature of story. So we like different shows because we are each individuals -- nothing wrong with that. :-)

      Delete
  2. Any girl is super, but Supergirl flies to a new level. :) Sadly, I haven't watched the show. What's wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is wrong with you! We each have our own preferences of shows we like to watch. Me? I cannot get into police and law dramas. :-)

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately for me, I depend on a friend's DVR to watch TV. (I don't have cable or satellite at home; I watch a lot of DVDs.) He used to share episodes of Supergirl during its first season, but not any more. I enjoyed it while I got to see it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I have neither cable or the Dish. I watch TV thru Amazon Instant Video. Your local library may have the first season of The Flash which is a great superhero show -- it may also have the first season of Supergirl, too. I know you are a fan of comics old and new. :-)

      Delete
    2. I was able to watch the first two seasons of The Flash, but a lot of the programs I was used to watching fell by the wayside when my friend and I fell behind on our visits. He couldn't afford to save all those shows!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, those shows really pile up in your DVR! :-(

      Delete